donderdag 5 augustus 2010

Introduction

Welcome to Morris Medical Matters,


While many people have said "you should write a book" to me when I'm waffling on about things relating to my family I'm not sure I have it in me to produce a real book.
There are however all kinds of family papers etc in my possession that contain information that I know other people are interested in seeing and thus I am going to risk using a blog to spread that information about.
The most important papers are probably the letters relating to my father's time in the Army during the First World War, when he was a doctor with the Royal Army Medical Corps - hence the name I chose for this blog.



The letters in question were written between January 1918 and the Spring of 1920 by my father Arthur Harry Morris to his mother (Alice), his father (Harry) and his sister (Audrey). Most of the letters were sent to the family home at 13 Cotham ParkClifton, Bristol and they were transcribed by me in 2006.

I hesitate to say I have edited the letters, as I have tried to stick to my father’s interesting spelling, grammar etc. And my main hope is that I have not added any typing errors. But I will add footnotes and where possible photographs or maps to explain about family, friends, places etc mentioned.
Much of the extra information is going to come from what I know directly from things my father and other members of the family have told me plus information from a journal he wrote in the 1960s.


The transcribed letters will follow shortly, but to give you an idea of what my father's handwriting was like this is what part of one of the original letters.


And this is what a typical envelope looked like:



For additional background information I would recommend checking out websites such as the following:

http://www.kingsownmuseum.plus.com/index.htm


And I probably wouldn't be doing this on the web if it was not for the excellent forum at:
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/

This is my first venture into the Blogosphere or whatever it's called these days so be patient with me if I am a bit slow getting things right.

Alfred
(Alfred is indeed my first name, but you may know me by one of my other Christian names!)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten